Sunday, January 24, 2016

Welcome to the Cancer Club

When a summons from the Cancer Club invades your emotional inbox, you avert your eyes, bow your head, and begin whatever passes for prayer in your world; Not me. Not now. Please.

When the phone call comes that confirms you've been inducted into the club against your will, you'll do just about anything to resign. Get me outta here! I want to go on with my life. I have PLANS, dammit!

But a cancer diagnosis isn't negotiable. If you have it, you deal with it. You stick it out. Not just your tongue and your attitude, but your perseverance. Your grit. Your spirit. I've seen too many friends die from cancer, and I am not saying they died because they didn't have enough gumption to fight it. They did.

Oh dear, my friends who died from cancer fought like crazy, fearsome spirited battles against their invisible and ultimately, invincible, enemy. Even determined troops of friends, families, and medical experts couldn't swing their battles. Dying from cancer isn't the victim's fault. It's not anybody's fault. It's just part of life, the dying part. You gotta go somehow, some way. You don't get to choose. (Except in Oregon, and some other states, you can choose to die earlier than the disease, whatever it is, dictates.)

I've also known many more who have beaten the disease, chief among them a Spartan cancer warrior  named Mike Amaranthus, who was diagnosed in the prime of his adult life with stage 4 esophageal cancer. He worked incredibly hard for his victory, and I hope to tell his story no matter what happens with me. (He's six years out from diagnosis, disease-free. He does something to fight cancer every three hours. Would you like to know what? Me too.)

Me? I am early in this game, a new club member. I'm not sure I'll have to stay and test myself against such a formidable invader. I hope not. I hope I can scamper on with my Ordinary (wonderful) Life and file this episode along with other bullets dodged, lessons learned, disasters avoided.

Here's a quick synopsis. And by the way, please don't refer to my experience as a journey. I love to travel to foreign places, but not this one.

December 10, 2015: routine annual dermatology exam. Small reddish raised mole-like spot found on lower right flank. I'd noticed it because it itched. Had it a few months, maybe longer. Shaved off for biopsy. Doctor states it appears to be a basal cell carcinoma. No sweat. Had  a couple removed previously. (Melanoma lesion arose from a a Spitz nevus. Rare in adults.)
December 11, 2015: I forget about the biopsy. The "lesion" looked nothing like melanoma images, and I was not worried. The doc said someone would call me in a few days with the biopsy results. A couple weeks later, I made a mental note that no one had called, so assumed everything must be fine. We continued with plans to help out with grandchildren's holiday child care during Christmas break in Reno, a 5-6 hour drive from our home in Southern Oregon. 
December 29, 2016: Beautiful bright blue sky day in Reno, out and about with the grandchildren. No reason to expect a lightning bolt. My cell phone barks. It's the dermatologist. In a rambling, almost apologetic fashion, he informs me, 19 days after my biopsy, that I have melanoma. He can't mean me, can he? Is he looking at someone else's pathology report? There must be a mistake.
He goes on about best and worst case scenarios: WORST -  the skin lesion that was biopsied could be a metastasis from somewhere else in my body. Metastasis is a hideous word. I have melanoma, and it may have already spread? Can you give me a break here, please?  BEST - The lesion was classified T1, which means it was small and found early. The surgeon, during a consult on January 6, said there's an 85 to 90 percent chance that the excision margins will be clean, as will sentinel lymph nodes that will be biopsied at the same time as surgery. If everything is cancer-free, I'm done. Except for skin exams every three months for a long time. (That metastasis thing weighs heavy despite the surgeon's favorable guess at odds.)
January 19, 2016: Surgery day, which begins in the nuclear medicine lab at the Rogue Regional Medical Center in Medford, OR, where I'm injected at the site of the melanoma lesion with four doses of radioactive dye in preparation for a sentinel node biopsy. If it wasn't me laying there scoping out all the technology employed on my behalf, it would have been interesting.
Isn't it just weird that I documented this? The bright light in the lefthand image is the melanoma site where a radiologist injected four doses of radioactive dye. Soon, the techs (and me, immobilized but comfortable beneath a giant scanner) can see the dye "draining" up into lymph nodes in my right armpit and breast. The sentinel nodes are those that collect the most radioactive material, and are the most likely places that the melanoma may have spread. The brightest two are taken during surgery later in the day. 
I watched the screens as lymph nodes in my armpit basin lit up. The techs seemed pleased that the images were clear, providing a good map for the surgeon to take the brightest nodes, those to which the melanoma may have "drained" malevolent kill-her cells.
Later, after surgery, the surgeon met with PK to say that things had gone well, there was "nothing obvious" to report, but that I should definitely not travel to South America the next week. (As planned Jan. 27-Feb.23. Plans be damned.)
January 24, 2016: I enjoyed a leisurely walk along the river this morning with seven girlfriends. Most of us have been friends for 40 years, or more. But just two know about the "problem" and are sworn to secrecy. Do I think if I don't tell people, it isn't really happening?

Up until this moment, providing I gather the courage to press PUBLISH, only family members and a few close friends, and some random people, know something bad may be lurking.

I understand now why people who get a grim diagnosis need time and space to process before they share what's going on. They don't want to talk about it because they have not yet accepted that it's real, and they are already consumed emotionally and don't want to dig deeper into the rabbit hole by having people ask them questions and look upon them with pity, or define them by the disease.

Not knowing the pathology results from surgery and lymph node biopsies is hell. WHY does it take so long!?

If the results are positive,  I will be a certified member of the Cancer Club. If negative, then life goes on, but not with the same spirit of invulnerability that I've always possessed. What was I thinking? Pretty sure I was going to live to 100, even if reluctantly.

It has been four business days and six actual days since surgery. We should know this coming week what lies in our immediate future. When I say "our" I'm talking about PK and me as a unit. He's  been incredibly supportive and suffers as much anxiety about this as I do. It's not quite so lonely having him with me. It's like we're holding hands beneath a cliff where a huge black rock is balanced on the edge. Either it will roll the other direction or crush us. Unless we somehow leap out of the way in the nick of time. That's hope for ya.

PK is more private than I am, and before I press "publish" I've made sure he's OK with this.

I guess I'm ready to say to the wonderful people who continue to read my blog, and to many dear friends, that I've been diagnosed with effing cancer, and that you may be hearing more about it.

Waiting for medical test results feels like a log has lodged sideways in your head, and an anvil is pressing on your neck, and your heart is trying to jam its way through your chest, and you think you're about to blow a gasket because you just want to know, dammit. 

I know one thing for sure, though. I'm not alone. And neither are you.


UPDATE:

21 comments:

  1. Mary, I haven't a clue what to say. Thank you for sharing this with your friends. You are always the picture of health and healthy living to me. I suspect that will stay in your corner for a long time to come. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you could write about this. I hope doing so helped to alleviate at least a tiny bit of stress from your my-head-is-about-to-explode feelings. I am also very glad you have Paul standing with you looking up at that threatening rock. There are so many of us standing with you, looking up at that cliff. I don't know if visualization works but it sure as hell can't hurt so I'm going to picture a guy with a big excavator coming up on the other side of that rock and expertly removing it from the edge of the cliff so you and PK and all of us who love you can breath a big sigh of relief and you can get back to planning what to pack for Tahiti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your excavation image, Grace. I'll go with that. Still no news, by the way.
      And you probably know that writing is therapeutic for me, as is dancing, photographing birds and bugs and butterflies, and board an airplane for sights unseen.

      Delete
  3. Great post! You are so good at describing situations. Now I'm waiting for the post that says, "I got the phone call and all is good!" Good seeing you the other day. This too shall pass (as my Mom always used to say). Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speechless, dumbstruck by this news, hit to the heart by your eloquent pissed off post. Know that you are in my heart and thoughts, sending support and love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, I hate this for you. It SUCKS. I love your writing and it will help others I know. Please call if there is anything I can do besides praying, which sadly I have no confidence in. I was thinking it would be fun to try to find the mine on my side of the mountain. Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's find the mine. Email me about when. Maybe Wednesday? Not sure if PK will be available that day,, though, and I know he wants to join the hunt. Interesting you have no confidence in prayer. We must discuss.

      Delete
    2. Mary, Wednesday would work for me. How about 10am. I don't know what the weather will be like but lets try.

      Delete
  6. so, so sorry to hear this, mary. but i am glad to hear a response that is angry, pushing out words as well as the f***ing invader that had no business visiting someone as vital and alive as you. do hang in there, and know that by speaking out, we are all cursing right along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my dear, I'm sending you the best healing thoughts that I can muster. I have very high hopes that you will dodge this fucking bullet, and be on your way to Ecuador, unscathed. In the meantime, walk, stay active/distracted. Go about your daily adventures, and know that, as with most things, this too shall pass. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are graceful and courageous. Thank you for sharing your story for there is comfort in communicating. I will hold a bright, vibrant, positive space for you and am sending you hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristen. There is comfort in communicating, even when circumstances suck.
      Hope you and beautiful boy are well.

      Delete
  9. I am so sorry that you have to travel this path. My daughter was diagnosed at 27 with a melanoma that they caught early. A second lesion showed signs of going that way. She has been on the 3 month exam for two years now and there have been no problems. But it definitely changes the faith you have that you are invincible. Hers was definitely from tanning beds (based on their locations that never saw the real sun). She is olive skinned and young... The last person you would think would have these awful "moles". If you are reading this please be careful with suspicious moles and stay out of tanning beds. It could be you that has to join this awful "club". Best wishes Mary... I have faith all will be well with your tests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your daughter's story, Wendy. So glad she made it through unscathed. Tanning beds! A scourge. I think they're now outlawed some places for people younger than 18? Mine was likely not sun related. Best to you and your family, and especially that gorgeous daughter. Mary

      Delete
  10. Mary...I think saying fuck a lot is just a perfect response to a really shitty thing going on. Thanks for writing your story, and letting us into this world...a world I know well from friends and family. Just sending you an infinite amount of hugs...dear person I've never met but feel even more grateful to know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary-I remember telling you about my diagnosis while standing on the stairs at the Wild River Brewery! I have no idea why I did but perhaps it was because of what has just happened. I am 5 and a half years cancer free and, dear Mary, IF it is not the best of news, you will do whatever needs to be done and you will be too. My brother convinced me that I needed to tell people. He said "if you don't, they cannot pray (chant, dance, sing, whirl, hike, ski, whatever (my words)) for you"! He was right. Love and Light, Rita O. P.S. Please don't edit this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary, I was just blessed with my 11th yr. of "no disease at this time". Stage 3 breast cancer, 4 sentinel lymph nodes positive. Dissection in right armpit, 13 nodes taken. Surgery, 8 chemos, 32 radiation treatments, but I'm here. I think of it as a trade off forced upon me. My Oncologist said I must cancel my trip to Costa Rica in Feb. My thought was, If this is my last chance, I'm taking it. To her horror, I went. I had to enjoy Centro one more time and the fucking cancer was not going to decide for me ! I went and soaked up every moment, sight, smell and sound that I possibly could. I came back ready to fight this demon like a warrior. I could go on and on about how I hate fucking cancer ! If you ever need to talk, I'm here for you, I can relate. cancer (I refuse to give it a capital c ) is NOT a death sentence these days !!
    Sending lot's of Love & Light your way !! JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why it says Unknown, Judy

      Delete
    2. Judy - What a story! I LOVE that you went to Costa Rica regardless. I was too freaked out about metastatic melanoma to continue with plans to Ecuador for 3.5 weeks. I thought I would be distracted and worried all the time. Plus we really didn't get results until Friday, Jan. 29! Your attitude was MUCH better! Fuck cancer for sure! You are JB up Foots Creek, si? Hugs and love, Mary P.S. You may have gathered thru FB comments that I've been released from this diagnosis; pathology was clean. I'll never forget how it was, and how it is for cancer warriors.

      Delete
    3. Best news ever ! Birdseye creek

      Delete