Friday, August 9, 2013

Ratatouille with Sizzle

I trotted out to the garden late in the afternoon to pick a few veggies for dinner. Well, it turned out to be way more than "a few veggies." Did I forget it's August? The month of way too much produce for the ordinary person in her ordinary life? Stay away from the garden for a couple days and gremlins sneak in to inject plants with steroids. It's crazy! But wonderful.
Whew! The garden surprised me after a couple days away with about 20 times more than we can eat.
I'll give away most of those great English cucumbers (they're appreciated by residents at the assisted living place where my mom lives). I'll put on my apron and figure out the rest. 
Anybody up for eggplant? We planted just one variety this year, and it all ripened at the same time. How inconvenient!  The eggplants are at their peak—purple/black and glossy. They must be used soon. The fruits are too small, mostly, for eggplant Parmesan, which is my favorite. It's a good year for eggplant volume, but not so much for size. So it'll be ratatouille that makes its way into the freezer to remind us in the dead of winter that we had a glorious August harvest. Why is it so difficult to remember when it's cold. grey and wet that we had these bright warm days (even tho smoky) just a few months back?

Usually I make roasted ratatouille in big batches and freeze it. Today I didn't mean to harvest all this stuff, but since I had so much, and it was so perfectly fresh and beautiful, I decided to revert to my earlier approach to ratatouille—frying—and make enough for one dinner for two. Let me tell you, it hardly made a dent in the volume of just-picked produce. I'll rally tomorrow or the next day to do the big ratatouille roasting operation. (Roasted ratatouille recipe coming soon.)

In the meantime, I remember how much work it is to do fried as opposed to roasted. With small amounts, however, it isn't that big of a deal. I added a couple new elements: jalapeno peppers and smoked salt. I gotta say, yummers! Here's how to make fried ratatouille with a peppery twist.

Ratatouille with Sizzle

Ingredients (for 2 or 3 people)
  • 2 small to medium zucchini, yellow, green, or striped
  • 1 medium eggplant
  • 1 small onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 3 jalapeno peppers (optional)
  • 1 sweet red pepper
  • 2 cups roughly chopped fresh tomatoes 
  • smoked salt to taste (I used Trader Joe's South African Seasoning Blend)
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary (important!)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
  • 2-6 tablespoons olive oil (huge disparity, I know. Stick with me.)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Make life easier and use two non-stick fry pans. Cut the zukes into about one-inch sized pieces. The eggplant may be sliced into slightly larger uniform-sized pieces. Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Mince the jalapeno and slice the sweet pepper into uniform chunks. Get it all ready before starting.

Stir fry the zukes in 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. At the same time, stir fry the eggplant in a separate pan. Eggplant tends to eat oil, so I start with 2 tablespoons and when the pan gets dry and the eggplant threatens to burn, I add a little water. It boils away and the eggplant is just fine. Combine the eggplant and zukes and set aside.
The eggplant and zukes are in the smaller pan. The onions, peppers and garlic are in the larger pan, where all ingredients will converge in the end. 
In the larger pan, saute the garlic and onion for a few minutes in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the peppers and stir fry for a couple more minutes. Dump the zukes and eggplant into the onion/pepper/garlic/rosemary mix and turn off the heat. Rosemary is a big deal for this recipe. Nothing else will do the trick.
Zukes, eggplant, onion, garlic, peppers stir fried and combined. 
Put the cut-up tomatoes into the now-vacant frying pan. Cook over medium-high heat until the tomatoes are soft and the moisture is steaming away. Add the chopped rosemary and a little table salt.
Tomatoes are beginning to sweat and reduce.
Cook until about half the tomato juice has evaporated and then add to the rest of the ingredients. Turn the heat to medium high. If you're using smoked salt, add it now and be careful—it can overpower, especially the African blend that includes other spices.  Add the chopped basil at the last minute.
The finished ratatouille took about 35-40 minutes to prepare, not counting the time required to grow and harvest the ingredients. It is served with simple cucumber onion salad, Trader Joe's hot Italian sausage, grilled, and the ubiquitous (at our house) chipotle and creamy garlic dill sauces. 
The garden also provides food for the soul. I didn't get any bird pictures, but from my harvesting position I admired swarming swooping chattering avians plus other garden beauties.


Bird-planted sunflowers with lots of bees. 
Lovely cosmos, which self seeds all over the place.

Yellow zinnias with a fig "tree" behind.

Fifteen-feet tall sunflowers. I'm not kidding. 



Impressive weightlifting, if I do say so myself. 


5 comments:

  1. Zucchini is starting to get out of hand, finally, in my garden. Only that, the peas and the kale have produced much this year. Slow start though we've had unusually hot, dry weather. My eggplants are just blooming and the tomatoes are hard green things. Starting to get some green beans, scarlet runners mostly. And the raspberry crop looks promising. Maybe I need better fertilizer but I think it's mostly the fault of a long, cold spring. I usually get masses of English cukes and this year I think about 5 plants just up and died. The ones that didn't are puny and not producing. Some of my squash plants got mildew. I feel like giving up on gardening after so much failure. But hope always springs eternal in springtime which is as it should be. You are so beautiful, Mary. We have the same hairdo. Are those hops in the background? Does Paul make beer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though your garden may be disappointing, you've had significant "blooming" in other areas of your life this past year that must be nourishing your soul—and your most important relationship. What fun to be making music after all these years! Who cares if your tomatoes are green? When are we going to "click" and hear some blues?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to answer your question: yes, those are hops. PK used to make great beer, and a lot of it, but quit years ago. The hops are neglected, except for some aggressive pruning to keep them from taking over the world. They mostly serve to shade a birdhouse on the side not visible in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noel was noodling around on his Les Paul yesterday and came up with some blooz riffs that brought to mind some of the old Delta Blues songs I used to love back in the day by Mance Lipscomb, Sunny Terry and Browny McGee, Taj Mahal, etc. I'm not sure how to characterize my style of singing. It's sort of bluesy, ballady, rockish with a splash of jazz. I guess 'torch' would cover it. Dug up some old Leonard Cohen songs and have been having fun with them--Sisters of Mercy and Hallelujah. We've been working on some James Taylor, Fire and Rain and Sweet Baby James. Also Our House by Graham Nash and Harvest Moon by Neil Young. Look up K.D. Lang singing Hallelujah on YouTube if you haven't ever heard it. (the one where she's wandering around barefoot, wearing a Tibetan robe, not the Canadian Olympic opening ceremony) My range is similar to hers now but she sings it 1/2 step lower. Met a fine fellow yesterday who I bought a set of congo drums from. He is the drummer for 'Wil' and it's a good thing I wasn't 30 years younger or I'd have been smitten. Look up the website ibreakstrings.com and listen to some of the songs. I think you will like them. She's Got Both Hands On a Bottle of Wine was one I enjoyed. And, yes, most definitely, the flowering of music in my life has made up for just about every other disappointment or discouragement I can think of. I feel...well, darned if I don't fell like I'm living in a state of Grace. I'm so aware that my time in this incarnation is limited (at this stage of life I find it difficult to be unaware of mortality for long but that's a good thing for me) so it heightens my enjoyment and appreciation for this musical obsession I'm indulging. There's never been a time in my life where I was able to exist, so consistently, in the moment. I got a fabulous banjo last week and am learning that as well. Honestly, I don't want to do anything but sing and play music. It makes me laugh every time I step back and look at this picture. Good name for a band, eh? State of Grace. Everyone would expect C&W. They'd be wrong. I think we're in a sort of in-between stage of development with our music--no longer rank beginners but working on so many things that will result in higher skill levels soon (I hope). If I did any recordings right now it would be for purposes of self critique and improvement rather than performance. But, having said that, if anything turns out sounding decent I will post it somewhere and let you know. And thank you for being interested. Okay, I've gotta go break up an argument that's about to erupt between a female shiba inu and the Canadian champion Havanese. We have ten dogs in the house today. Eeeesh. Starting to wonder if our garage is ever going to get finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I don't know why I didn't respond to this when you wrote it 3 years ago! lmost to the day. I happened to see it today when I was looking up my ratatouille recipe. Finally have enough ripe tomatoes to make a batch. And SO happy to read what you wrote back then when you were blooming into your rediscovered musical State of Grace! You're more centered there now than ever, right? It was such a joy to hear and see you and Noel practicing and loving every minute. You have a gift and it is enviable. So great to be "in the moment" and centered. Love you! Mary

    ReplyDelete