Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Spring Bounty for the Eye, Heart, and Palate

The first strawberries of summer harvested today! The lacinato kale cut back to the nub a week ago has rebounded
with another big surge, and it is as delicious as ever. It has to be pulled out this week though to make way for summer crops. I'm accumulating asparagus for a few days with an eye toward pickling.Those berries? Breakfast. 
I never tire of these purple irises—fragrant, resilient, and reliable. They've
been delighting the senses for about 30 years. 

A new dogwood blooms as a 30-year-old rhodie climbs the roof.



Giant lupine in front of the house. Unfortunately, black aphids love
these, and last year I pulled a couple plants. I'm keeping my eye
on this last one, ready to do battle.

The last of the 2012 spaghetti squash baked today. It's hard to believe
it's lasted eight months. Last fall PK swabbed the keeper squashes with
a bleach solution and also wiped down the storage area. Hooray!

Tonight's dinner: Spaghetti squash topped with 2012 marinara sauce and May 8, 2013 garden
bonanza: bok choy, broccoli, kale, and, from the grocery store,
sweet yellow peppers, all sauteed in olive and sesame oils with minced garlic and ginger and
seasoned with ginger/lemon flavored sea salt.
Heaven.


4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful blog! Melissa and I make handmade home decor, gardening supplies and gifts from recycled wood. Our work can be seen here: http://www.andrewsreclaimed.com

    We would be interested in a purchasing a sidebar button or submitting a product review / giveaway / and or percent discount for your readership if you'd like to feature us.

    Thank you for taking a look!

    http://www.andrewsreclaimed.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I have yet to "monetize" my blog, and I'm not sure when, if ever, this will happen. I blog because I love to write and make photographs and communicate with old friends and make new ones.

    Your products look wonderful — simple, clean, aesthetic and durable. I especially like the bat house and wonder if it works for you? Husband made one, but the bats still prefer the shakes under the eaves above our front door so that visitors can be greeted with little piles of guano.

    I love that your stuff is made from repurposed materials, and that it looks great. If ever I go to the "dark side, I will contact you. For now, that was a plug for free : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. We made a beautiful bat house, too, and after three years we are still hoping, in vain, for occupants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are having our house painted! And ever since the painters pressure-washed the shakes and then painted, we have not had any more guano. Maybe? The bats are scared away? or are just waiting for the painters to leave to make a grand re-habitation.

    ReplyDelete