Monday, August 15, 2011

Ridiculous luck

Devouring dinner tonight, I was reminded of life's inequities. Life has NOT been unfair to me. Not at all. On the contrary. I am so fortunate it's sickening. I'm not sure how and why some people, like me, slip into golden favor while others are born in Somalia or countries where women are victimized by genital mutilation and children suffer and die because they lack clean water or adequate food and they suffer, suffer, suffer before dying too young. Or why women in my own community endure domestic abuse or puzzling but disabling hormone imbalances or ungrateful children or homelessness or worse.
As I digest my excellent meal, I'm grateful. I try not to guilt trip too much. It's not my fault that so many people in so many places are deprived while I enjoy life's favors, including excessive calories with bonzo nutrients. Tomorrow I'll undoubtedly have another such meal because I can. It's the great good fortune of my current situation and PK and I working our butts off in the garden. From the beginning, I've been lucky:

  • Two years ago I won a cruise for two to the Caribbean!
  • A few months ago I won a great camera!
  • Sixty-six years ago I was born to working class parents who never doubted that I was the most magnificent person on earth. (Except for, of course, my sister, who was also Golden.) My parents didn't have much money, but it was always understood my sister and I were absolutely brilliant and would go to college. And we did. (Sister may be brilliant, and I managed to eke through.)
  • On rebound from an unfaithful lout, I met and married PK.
  • We had two amazing sons who continue to astound and fulfill us. Children can be a great gift.
  • Our grandson, Noah, 14 months, is beautiful and brilliant and has the best parents, a fact that adds immensely to my contentment.
  • I almost died once, but have had great good health most of my life.
  • Friends are plentiful and precious. 
  • Our current cat, Koko, is amusing, and as I compose, he's digging into bookshelf drawers in my office. He is now trapped, but I shall soon liberate him.
  •  My mother, LaVone, 95.8, has become a part of my daily life. I sometimes chafe at the restrictions she presents to my comings and goings, but mostly I marvel at her resilience and spirit and the great good fortune I have to be with her now.
  • Which brings me back to being lucky, And here's tonight's dinner. Thank you, whoever presides over the universe. Great meal!

Corn on the cob, smoked grilled chicken, cuke/onion salad, the season's first fresh tomatoes, smoked grilled peppers, garden medley including zukes, eggplant, peppers, onions, basil, and garlic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment